The deck is done!!

September 21, 2009

strips are all on and staples are removed

strips are all on and staples are removed

I put the last strip (whiskey plank) in on Saturday.  It was a tough one very skinny and it took a while to fit it in.  I am very excited to move on to the next steps.  I made two plywood cradles to attach to the saw horses for the deck.  The cradle fits the contour of the topside of the deck.  I removed ALL the staples and then the deck from the bottom of the boat.  The deck was placed upsidedown on the cradles – so I can clean up the underside  – lots of glue drips and a few gaps to fill.  So I spent some time with the removal process – it was stuck to the forms in a few places but with a little patience I was able to get it loose.  I also took the forms out of the bottom of the boat – I used a hairdryer on the hot glue and they loosened up nicely but we do need a new hairdryer:)

Next step will be to fiberglass the underside of the deck – the weather is turning colder but it is still warm enough during the day to use the epoxy.

we have spent many hours together:)

we have spent many hours together:)

the deck removed from the bottom - underside facing up

the deck removed from the bottom - underside facing up

lots of clean up - but it is the part that won't be seen

lots of clean up - but it is the part that won't be seen

ALMOST DONE WITH THE DECK

September 11, 2009

 

 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel – can’t wait to move on to the next step but now I have to fit theses small pieces in.  This part involves a lot of trial and error.