Deck Work

October 14, 2009

I have been working on the underside of the deck.  I filled in any small gaps with latex wood fill and put a coat of epoxy on the underside of the deck.  My friend Dave suggested Elmers latex wood fill that comes in variety of colors – seemed to work pretty well.  I drapped the fiberglass over the underside and applied a coat of epoxy to throughly wet out the fiberglass.  I put two extra pieces of fiberglass on the underside of the deck just behind the cockpit to add strength for getting in and out of the boat. 

Now – I am stuck because the weather has turned cold and I am concerned about the epoxy curing properly.  Temps have not been out of the 40’s.  Hope that we have Indian Summer soon.  I have been investigating ways to heat the garage with a space heater – I would like to avoid that but I may end up trying that so that I can continue. 

The epoxy really brings out the color in the strips.

The epoxy really brings out the color in the strips.

IMG_3336-1

The deck is done!!

September 21, 2009

strips are all on and staples are removed

strips are all on and staples are removed

I put the last strip (whiskey plank) in on Saturday.  It was a tough one very skinny and it took a while to fit it in.  I am very excited to move on to the next steps.  I made two plywood cradles to attach to the saw horses for the deck.  The cradle fits the contour of the topside of the deck.  I removed ALL the staples and then the deck from the bottom of the boat.  The deck was placed upsidedown on the cradles – so I can clean up the underside  – lots of glue drips and a few gaps to fill.  So I spent some time with the removal process – it was stuck to the forms in a few places but with a little patience I was able to get it loose.  I also took the forms out of the bottom of the boat – I used a hairdryer on the hot glue and they loosened up nicely but we do need a new hairdryer:)

Next step will be to fiberglass the underside of the deck – the weather is turning colder but it is still warm enough during the day to use the epoxy.

we have spent many hours together:)

we have spent many hours together:)

the deck removed from the bottom - underside facing up

the deck removed from the bottom - underside facing up

lots of clean up - but it is the part that won't be seen

lots of clean up - but it is the part that won't be seen

ALMOST DONE WITH THE DECK

September 11, 2009

 

 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel – can’t wait to move on to the next step but now I have to fit theses small pieces in.  This part involves a lot of trial and error.

Work on the deck continues

August 27, 2009

view from the bow looking toward the cockpit

view from the bow looking toward the cockpit

there will be lots of staples to remove!!

there will be lots of staples to remove!!

still working away on the deck – I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel – finally.

view from behind the cockpit

view from behind the cockpit

Holey clamp-a-holic
Holey clamp-a-holic

Building the deck

July 15, 2009

Dave helped us get the first strips on – then it took Sarah and I a while to get a system to get the angles right for the “king plank”  (two strips glued together that go up the middle of the boat) and after working with quite a few templates we actually cut them and glued them … it was traumatic because I was afraid that they would be too short.  The cut was good (not perfect)… thank goodness!   Small gaps will be filled in with epoxy.  Most of the rest will be dark cedar … hopefully we will get better at the angles but we will be working with shorter pieces so it should be easier.
The first strips!

The first strips!

king plank

king plank

The bow angles

The bow angles

The stern angles

The stern angles

Prepping for the deck

July 15, 2009

The forms are inserted to prepare for building the cedar strip deck.  Dave helped me get these all hot glued in.  They are temporary forms that come out after all the strips are on.

Inserting the temporary forms

Inserting the temporary forms

I am glad someone is reading the directions!

I am glad someone is reading the directions!

Sanding the hull

July 15, 2009

The boat is flipped over and the hull is lightly sanded to remove any epoxy drips and imperfections.

I was a bit worried about the look of some of the puzzle joints but with some advice from the folks on the builders forum – I sanded them smooth and once the epoxy was applied to the hull the ugliness disappeared.

IMG_3124

before sanding - had the impression of the plastic in it

before sanding - had the impression of the plastic in it

A coat of epoxy in the cockpit and layer of fiberglass was added – giving extra strength to the area where I will sit.

IMG_3123

All the seams had to be glued and filleted – “fill it” not like you do to a fish!  The wires come out once seams are glued. A layer of fiberglass tape was added to cover each of the fillets.  Once the glue – “epoxy mixed with wood flour” dried it really tightened up the whole structure.

glued seams

glued seams